I am in love with beets. They are such a versatile vegetable. Beets can be roasted and juiced, plus they make an excellent natural food dye. You can even sauté the greens for the extra nutritional benefits! Have you ever tried beet bread? Every delicious morsel is a like a treat sent from heaven. There isn’t much that you can’t do with beets.
What are your favorite ways to eat beets?
- 3 medium beets
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Wash and scrub the beets under running water. Since beets are a root vegetable, they will have plenty of dirt on them. Pat the beets dry with a towel.
- Using a knife, cut off the stems and the bottom part of beet.
- If the beets are big, cut them in half to speed up the cooking time.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and line the beets 2 inches apart. Drizzle olive oil over beets. Place more foil on top of the beets.
- Place the beets in oven and roast for 50-60 minutes. Check the beets every 20 minutes by inserting a fork into the beets. If the fork inserts easily the beets are done. Larger beets will take longer to cook.
- Take the beets out of the oven and let cool. Once the beets have cooled, peel or rub off the skin. If the skin is difficult to peel, return to oven and continue roasting until tender.
- Slice the beets. Serve and savor.